Knowing when to call your Suffolk County, NY, gastroenterologists at Brookhaven Gastroenterology Associates can help you avoid unnecessary suffering or even serious health complications. Your doctor can determine the source of your abdominal pain and provide treatments that will relieve your symptoms. Learn more by contacting our office in East Patchogue NY.
Should I call the doctor?
Have you been telling yourself that your pain will go away if you just give it one more hour or day? Abdominal pain is a warning sign that lets you know that something isn't quite right with your gastrointestinal system. Ignoring your symptoms may make your condition more difficult to treat or cause you to become very sick.
It's important to call the Suffolk County gastroenterology office if you notice any of these signs or symptoms:
- You've had mild or dull pain for a week or longer or moderate pain for a day or two.
- You have a fever in addition to abdominal pain.
- You have abdominal pain and have been losing weight even though you aren't on a diet.
- It hurts to urinate.
- You have pain and bloating that's last more than a few days.
- Your pain is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody stools.
- You've been vomiting blood.
- Your pain started after an abdominal injury.
If you've never had this type of pain before, even if it's mild, or can't sleep or eat because of your pain, don't wait to call your gastroenterologist.
When to visit the emergency room
Go to the emergency room if you are having trouble breathing, have severe abdominal or chest pain, or are unable to have a bowel movement. Other signs and symptoms of an emergency include yellow skin, abdominal swelling, frequent nausea, vomiting, or pain when you press on your abdomen.
What causes abdominal pain?
Many diseases and conditions can cause pain in the abdomen. Your pain could be caused by:
- A urinary tract infection
- Kidney stones
- A ruptured aorta
- Diverticular disease
- Food poisoning
- An intestinal blockage
- A viral or bacterial infection
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- A hernia
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
Your gastroenterologist will recommend a treatment plan based on the cause of your pain. Treatment may include antibiotics and other medications, dietary changes, intravenous fluids, surgery, or other treatments.
Do you have abdominal pain? Schedule an appointment with your gastroenterologists in Suffolk County, NY, in East Patchogue NY at Brookhaven Gastroenterology Associates by calling (631) 289-0300.